I use a buttered metal ring with aluminum foil on the bottom instead of the springform pan. If I make half the recipe I use two small eggs.
- 2 Tbs + 7 Tbs unsalted butter (chilled and diced)
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 small medium)
- 1 cup corn kernels
- ½ cup red pepper (seeded, deveined and finely chopped)
- 2 Tbs jalapeños (seeded and finely chopped)
- 1 ¾ cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 Tbs baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk or whole milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups grated fontina or mild cheddar cheese (packed)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF /200ºC
- Butter round or square 9-inch springform pan.
- In a skillet over medium heat melt butter.
- Add onion and red pepper and cook for a few minutes until a little browned.
- Add corn and jalapeños and cook for 1 more minute. Remove from heat and reserve.
- In a large bowl mix cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and soda, salt and pepper.
- Add cold butter and rub with your palms until mixture resembles coarse sand.
- In a small bowl mix buttermilk and eggs. Add all at once to the dry mixture and mix just to combine. Add cheese and sauteed vegetables and mix well.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake 30 to 40 minutes, until golden and tester comes out clean.
- Let cool on wire rack.