Raisin Bran Muffins that are fabulous, nutritious, fiber-loaded, easy to make, delicious and super moist! They freeze beautifully and are the perfect on-the-go breakfast.
- 2 cups (100g) wheat bran
- 1 cup (120g) raisins, no seeds
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) water
- 1/2 cup (125ml) buttermilk
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1/2 cup (100gr) brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (125ml) coconut oil (or another oil, even olive)
- 1 egg, room tº
- 1 egg white, room tº
- 1/2 cup (70g) all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (40g) fine whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven at 325ºF / 170ºC
- Have ready 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a small saucepan bring to a boil the raisins and 1 cup of the water. Let it boil very slowly for about 15 minutes, until there is almost no water left.
- Process the raisins, as smooth or a bit chunky, whatever you like. You can skip this step.
- Toast the wheat bran for about 5 minutes in the oven, careful not to burn. Move it around so it toasts evenly. Careful it burns quickly if you don’t watch it, much like coconut.
- In a large bowl mix buttermilk with the 1/2 cup remaining water, the toasted bran, raisins, orange zest and sugar. Mix well.
- Add coconut oil, egg, egg white and mix everything.
- Add both flours, baking powder, soda and salt (I sift them directly over the oil mixture) and mix quickly and only until no dry streaks remain. Do not overmix.
- Divide between muffin cups and bake for about 25 minutes, until a tester comes out dry. They don’t raise much.
- Let cook on a wire rack.
- Wheat bran: not to be mistaken with oat bran. Wheat bran comes in different levels of coarseness, and I the very or medium one (image above, top bowl). It gives the muffins the texture which I find to be essential.
- Raisins: I use dark or light raisins, and sometimes add cranberries if I have some lying around.
- Flours: besides all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour is used in this recipe. I am partial to superfine which is similar in texture to white flour. We already have the bran to give texture.
Keywords: bran muffins, raisin bran muffins