I add dollops of dulce de leche and some chocolate candies. But nutella or chocolate buttercream work fine too. Or eat them plain, they’re amazing.
- 1 cup 220g butter
- 4.5 oz 120g semi sweet chocolate, in pieces (I use 70%)
- 1 cup 200g white sugar
- 1/2 cup 100g dark brown sugar
- 4 eggs (room tº)
- 1 cup 130g all purpose flour
- 1 Tbs. 10g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or paste
- Dulce de leche or nutella or chocolate buttercream (optional for serving)
- Sprinkles or chocolate candy (optional for serving)
- Preheat oven at 350ºF / 180ºC.
- Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners or butter them.
- Melt butter and chocolate (in the microwave or over boiling water not touching the bottom of the bowl).
- Add sugars and mix well.
- Add eggs and mix well but do not beat.
- Add flour, salt, cocoa powder, baking powder and vanilla. Mix well without beating.
- Divide batter evenly between muffin cups.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until a tester comes out with some moist clumps attached. They should be a little, barely jiggly, just like a brownie.
- Let cool on wire rack before decorating if you want.
- I add dollops of dulce de leche and some chocolate candies. But nutella and buttercream work great too. Or eat them plain, they’re amazing.
Tips & tricks for this recipe.
Oven: as with any brownie-like recipe, take them out while still a bit soft in the center. If they are very springy when you tough them, they are somewhat overbaked. They will be amazing anyway, but not as fudgy, more cake-like.
Topping: I use a dab of dulce de leche (because I use it with everything I can), and the candies on top I used to pretty then up for a birthday (and for this post), but they are good on their own, as I mentioned before. A light chocolate glaze (with or without the bourbon) works wonders too.
Freezing: they freeze beautifully. Wrap them well, stock your freezer, defrost at room t° and warm them in a medium oven before eating.
Keywords: brownie muffins, chocolate muffins