- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 4 Tbs sugar
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 3 Tbs buttermilk. cold
- ½ cup sour cream, cold
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate, in chunks
- ½ cup sour cherries (pitted), fresh or frozen
- Preheat oven to 375ºF/190°C.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl mix sour cream with baking soda.
- In the bowl of a food processor put flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- Process a few times to mix. In a bowl mix butter, egg, buttermilk, and sour cream with baking soda.
- Pour over flour mixture and process with a few on/off pulses just until it begins to come together. Don't over mix.
- If making by hand put dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix wet ingredients in another bowl and add. Mix with a fork until it becomes a shaggy mass. Continue as instructed below.
- Transfer the shaggy mass to a bowl and add the chocolate and cherries. Lightly mix with a fork to distribute.
- Dump the dough onto the lightly floured work surface and fold it over itself a few times, enough to gather it all together but without kneading. Don't overwork. It will be irregular and spots will be dry.
- Pat the dough and cut rounds using a cookie cutter.
- Put on the baking sheets, freeze for 10 minutes, and then bake for 20 minutes, until they are golden.
- Let cool a bit on a wire rack.
- Eat warm.
You can substitute the sour cherries for same amount of cranberries or raisins.
Freezing: freeze the scones, unbaked, until ready to bake. Tranfer directly, without defrosting them, to a preheated 375°F oven.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Scones & Biscuits
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: International
Keywords: cherry scones, cherry chocolate scones