These dulce de leche brownies are genius. Fudgy and irresistible, they are marbled with dollops of sweet dulce de leche that appear when you bite into them. A very easy-to-make recipe that’s even easier to love.
- 8 Tbs (115g) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 6 oz. (170g) semisweet chocolate, chopped
- ¼ cup (25g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 1 cup (140g) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract or paste
- 1 cup (300g) regular dulce de leche (see notes below for buying it online)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF / 180ºC.
- Line an 8-inch (20 cm) square pan with a long sheet of aluminum foil that covers the bottom and sides of the pan. Grease bottom and sides with a bit of butter or non-stick spray. This will make it easier to unmold.
- Melt butter and chocolate in a bowl over simmering water, stirring until melted and combined. Or use the microwave in 15-second intervals, mixing well after each. Be careful not to burn or char the chocolate.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the cocoa until smooth. Add the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the sugar, vanilla, then the flour.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Drop tablespoonfuls of dulce de leche. With the tip of a knife swirl the spread very slightly; otherwise, you won’t get the puddle we want.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes. The brownies are done when the center feels just slightly firm. Do not over bake.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely. Cool on wire rack.
- These brownies are better the next day and will keep well for up to 3 days.
- Use both melted chocolate and cocoa powder as instructed in the recipe. The final chocolate flavor will be superb, deep and intense, something achieved by using both.
- Use regular dulce de leche (see links above for buying it online), so it stays soft after baking. This will ensure that you bite into gooey dulce de leche that hasn’t hardened during baking.
- Marble the mixture a bit but not too much; make sure you have whole spots of dulce de leche. You need the puddle of dulce de leche so, when you bite, you can taste it separated from the chocolate.
- Buying dulce de leche: brands I recommend are Cachafaz and Havanna.
Keywords: dulce de leche, dulce de leche brownies, brownies