You’re three ingredients away from the most wonderful soup ever! It’s low carb, vegan (if you want), nutritious and delicious!
- 2 1/2 cups butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup red lentils, rinsed well
- 1/4 cup almond or cashew milk (or use cream if not making it vegan)
- Sal and black pepper
- In a large saucepan, put butternut squash and red lentils to boil in 2-3 cups salted cold water.
- When the squash is very tender and the lentils are mostly exploded, turn off the heat.
- Blend the whole thing until very creamy. I use an immersion blender and do it directly in the saucepan on the counter (not over the stove).
- Add freshly ground black pepper to taste if you want.
- To serve add a splash of almond or cashew milk. Or mix it before serving.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
Liquid: depending on how you like your soup (thicker or thinner) is the amount of water you’ll need. I recommend you start with 2 cups and then add more at the end if you see it is consuming too fast before the squash is done.
Milk: you can use any nut milk, but I find almond is the best and second comes cashew. Alternatively, use cream (whipping or double, directly from the fridge) if not making it vegan.
Keywords: red lentil soup, squash lentil soup