You can use any combination of cheeses. I usually like a very melty one (mozzarella) and a stronger hard one, like gouda or even gruyere. Add salami or even cooked bacon bits instead of the ham. Be sure to add enough salt and pepper. Under seasoned muffins are so dull.
- 4 Tbs 60g olive oil or butter
- 2 or 3 shallots ( chopped)
- 6 oz 170g ham, chopped
- 2 cups cheese cubes (I used gouda and mozzarella, or grated)
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF / 170ºC. Grease or spray 12 muffin molds.
- Melt oil or butter and sauté the shallots, until translucent. Don’t burn them or they will be bitter.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt and pepper.
- Add cheeses, ham and shallots. Mix lightly.
- In a small bowl mix egg and milk.
- Add to the flour mixture, and with a wooden spoon, mix until combined. Don’t over mix.
- Divide between the 12 muffin molds. The batter will be stiff.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes, until golden and barely risen.
- Eat warm. Freeze leftovers.