I prepared the salad on a platter to take to the table. You can also prepare it directly on two plates.I half peeled the pear, you can do whatever you want.
- 3 cups arugula
- 2 Tbs thinly sliced shallots
- 1 pear (I used Bartlett)
- 2 medjool dates (chopped into little pieces)
- 1.5 oz asiago cheese (sliced with a potato peeler)
- 2 Tbs chopped almonds
- 2 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 2 Teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 Tbs honey
- 1/3 to ½ cup olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the vinaigrette:
- In a jar with lid, mix vinegar, mustard, honey and some salt.
- Slowly add oil while mixing well.
- Add pepper and check seasoning.
- Refrigerate while you prepare salad.
For the salad:
- In a bowl dress arugula with three tablespoons of vinaigrette. Mound arugula on center of platter.
- Scatter shallot on top.
- Cut pear in half and scoop out the centres. Dice one half, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a medium skillet and cook pear cubes for about 2 minutes, until beginning to brown. Reserve.
- Slice the remaining pear and add it to the platter.
- Scatter half the chopped almonds on top of the arugula.
- Add the shaved asiago cheese.
- Scatter the date pieces and remaining almonds on top of cheese and pears.
- Finally add the pear cubes.
- Drizzle a few tablespoons of vinaigrette and serve.