This is a gorgeous salad, with a bit of everything, the kind of salad that is good on the waist and also good for you. Fresh pears used two ways, peppery arugula, toasted almonds, only two plump medjool dates, a bit of good asiago cheese and a wonderful honey mustard vinaigrette.After very decadent weeks in this kitchen, which included focaccia with roasted grapes, creamy chocolate ice cream with cherries, triple chocolate peanut clusters, fantastic berry pancakes and the most decadent dessert with dulce de leche and puff pastry, this salad is a welcome idea.
Nothing personal, it’s the way I think after being on both sides of the story.
I prepared the salad on a platter to take to the table. You can also prepare it directly on two plates.I half peeled the pear, you can do whatever you want.
- 3 cups arugula
- 2 Tbs thinly sliced shallots
- 1 pear (I used Bartlett)
- 2 medjool dates (chopped into little pieces)
- 1.5 oz asiago cheese (sliced with a potato peeler)
- 2 Tbs chopped almonds
- 2 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 2 Teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 Tbs honey
- 1/3 to ½ cup olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the vinaigrette:
- In a jar with lid, mix vinegar, mustard, honey and some salt.
- Slowly add oil while mixing well.
- Add pepper and check seasoning.
- Refrigerate while you prepare salad.
For the salad:
- In a bowl dress arugula with three tablespoons of vinaigrette. Mound arugula on center of platter.
- Scatter shallot on top.
- Cut pear in half and scoop out the centres. Dice one half, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a medium skillet and cook pear cubes for about 2 minutes, until beginning to brown. Reserve.
- Slice the remaining pear and add it to the platter.
- Scatter half the chopped almonds on top of the arugula.
- Add the shaved asiago cheese.
- Scatter the date pieces and remaining almonds on top of cheese and pears.
- Finally add the pear cubes.
- Drizzle a few tablespoons of vinaigrette and serve.