Thick wedges of pumpkin are baked with herbs and spicces. A seasonal recipe that lets the vegetable shine! Easy and delicious. This is so simple it’s borderline between a list of ingredients and a recipe. Yet ingredients, when they are good, the simpler the better, right?
- 1/2 medium pumpkin (cut in thick wedges)
- 3 or 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Black pepper, freshly ground if possible
- Dash of cayenne, hot or smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs or 2 teaspoons dried (I like thyme and oregano or sage)
- Pinch of ground cinnamon, optional
- For serving: goat cheese or feta cheese, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF / 180ºC.
- Arrange the pumpkin wedges on a baking tray.
- Drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt, pepper, cayenne and cinnamon if using, and herbs.
- Bake for 15 minutes, and lay them on their sides. Continue baking for 15 more minutes, turn them on the other side and bake for 15 more minutes, or until golden and soft.
- Transfer the pumpkin wedges to the serving platter, scatter crumbled goat cheese or feta on top if you want, a drizzle of olive oil, and serve.
cut medium-large wedges as they tend to shrink quite a bit after baking. If using smaller pumpkins, you might consider cutting the whole pumpkin in only 4 pieces.
Spiced wedges: you can omit the herbs, sprinkle only the spices and serve this side dish with a drizzle of maple syrup and some crumbled cheese.
Herbs: I used thyme and oregano but innovate with what you have at home. Sage goes very well and also rosemary if used sparingly.
Spices: it's good to add some ground cayenne or hot paprika if you want pumpkin with a kick. If going for a sweeter tone, add a pinch of ground cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Serving Size: 1/4
- Calories: 183
- Sugar: 3.1 g
- Sodium: 642.7 mg
- Fat: 15.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 7.4 g
- Protein: 5.4 g
- Cholesterol: 14.9 mg
Keywords: roasted pumkin