Whether you call it crumble or crisp, this is a wonderful dessert, full of flavor and super easy to make!
- 2 pounds (about 6 apples) peeled, cored, and sliced into wedges
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- Zest of 1/2 an orange
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 cup blackberries, washed and dried (frozen work well, use directly)
For the crumble:
- 1 cup (140g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 (150g) cup sugar
- 1/2 cup (110g) butter, cold
- Preheat the oven in 350ºF (180ºC).
- Butter a 9x9 inch (23x23 cm) glass or ceramic dish. Or 6 individual ramekins.
For the apples:
- Mix the apples with the orange juice, zest, cornstarch, cinnamon and vanilla in a bowl.
- Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- Alternatively, cook the above mixture on a saucepan over low/medium heat until apples start to soften and realease some of their juice, about 5 minutes. Don't let them soften too much.
For the crumble:
- In a food processor, with the steel blade, put flour and sugar. Pulse once or twice.
- Add cold butter and pulse until the butter is the size of peas.
- In a bowl: or put the flour and sugar in a large bowl, add the cold butter pieces and with your hands or a pastry blender, mix until the butter is the size of peas.
- Put the apple mixture in the baking dish and top with the blackberries.
- Put the crumble mixture over the fruit. It will be very irregular and that is fine.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown and berry juices bubble.
- Let cool until warm and serve with cream or ice cream.
- Or eat it plain, at room t°.
Crumble: it can be made ahead and frozen for a month. Or refrigerated for several days.
Apples: if you want firmer apples use the first method of adding them directly to the bakind dish. If you like softer apples cook them first. It's all explained in the recipe above.
Storing: it keeps at room t° for 1-2 days, though I prefer to wrap and keep refrigerated. Warm it before eating at a 325°F (165°C) oven. It can be frozen, well wrapped, for a month.
Variations: blueberries work well instead of blackberries and lemon instead of orange.
Keywords: apple blackberry crumble, apple blackberry crisp