A twist on the black forest cake, these tarts have the perfect chocolate crust, a layer of raspberry jam, sweet cherries, whipped cream and chocolate shards! Much easier to make than it looks, it is a sophisticated and simple dessert at the same time. And super delicious, of course!
**The time estimated is for the filling and assembling. Check out the chocolate pie crust also.
1 recipe for Chocolate Pie Crust
For the filling:
- 8 tablespoons raspberry jam
- 2-3 cups fresh cherries, pitted and cut in half or fourths
For the whipped cream:
- 1 1/2 cups double, heavy or whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sour cream or cream cheese
- 3-4 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Whole cherries
- Chocolate shavings
- Follow the recipe above for the chocolate pie crust and make 8 individual tartlets or 1 large 9-inch pie.
- Have the cherries pitted and halved.
For the cream:
- In a large bowl beat cold cream with sour cream/cream cheese and powdered sugar.
- I like the cream to be thick but soft, so I beat it until medium peaks. But you can go all the way like chantilly cream and beat until it's firm peaks. Just make sure it is holding up, you don't want a cream that is still liquid.
- Be careful it doesn't curdle. That happens if it's over beaten. You might want to beat until you're almost there and then end it by hand, with a whisk. That way you won't take the chance of over beating it.
For assembling the tarts:
- Remove the tart shells from the pans and put the tarts on a flat surface.
- Add 1 tablespoon raspberry jam to each one.
- Top with cherry halves.
- Top the fruit with the whipped cream.
- Refrigerate the finished tarts for half an hour before serving.
- End with a few whole cherries on top and chocolate shavings.
- Some ingredients are aproximate because you might like more cream or more cherries. It's a matter of personal taste.
- Tart shells: you can have them ready a few days in advance. Keep them in a tightly closed jar or tin (preferably). You can also have them lined in the tart pans, pricked and frozen for several days before baking them.
- Cherries: if using frozen or canned (I recommend fresh but sometimes it's not the season and this is a festive tart!) make sure you drain them before adding.
Keywords: black forest tart, cherry cream pie