First of all, I can’t tell you how grateful I am to all of you, my dear friends, for all your amazing caring comments and emails after my little world was flooded on April 2. Things took a turn for the better a few days ago, and the pieces are starting to come together. And that means my spirits are climbing up the ladder again.
Btw, this is a movie not to be missed, with enough chocolate and emotions to last you for a while.
Flourless chocolate tortes, such as this one, need to be made with love and care, due to the lack of starch. So much depends on the egg whites, the folding and the baking.
It needs attention, many bowls, beaters and a gentle hand. The result is according to the work.
- 6 oz. 170g bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons coffee powder
- ¼ cup coffee liqueur (I used Kahlua)
- 6 oz. 170g unsalted butter, softened
- 13 Tbs 185g sugar
- 6 large eggs (separated)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 oz. 170g toasted almonds, finely ground
- 1 cup fresh raspberries (to serve)
- Confectioners’ sugar (for dusting)
- Preheat oven to 375ºF / 190ºC. Butter/spray and flour a 9-inch (24cm) springform pan.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a double boiler or in the microwave. Mix in the coffee powder and liqueur. Reserve.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter until creamy. Slowly add 11 Tbs sugar and beat until the mixture is light and very creamy. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add the egg yolks, one or two at a time, beating well between each, and beating an extra minute after the last one. Fold in the almonds and chocolate mixture, in a few additions each, using a spatula.
- In another large bowl with an electric mixer or the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg whites with the salt until the begin to stand in soft peaks. Add the remaining 2 Tbs sugar and beat until glossy and stiff.
- With a spatula, add a few tbs of the whites into the chocolate mixture and mix. Add the rest of the whites in 2 or 3 additions, mixing careful but thoroughly.
- Pour into prepared pan, turn down the oven to 350ºF / 180ºC and bake for 15 minutes.
- Turn down the oven to 325ºF / 160ºC and bake for another 45 minutes; turn the oven down to 300ºF / 150ºC and bake for 15 to 20 more minutes, until a tester in the center comes out dry.
- Turn off the oven and leave the cake in the oven, with the door ajar for another 30 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack and cool, in the pan, to room temperature.
- When ready to serve, slide a flat knife or spatula around the sides, release the springform and carefully transfer to the serving plate.
- Dust with confectioners’ sugar and serve with the raspberries.
Toast (bready things)
- Scones (inspired by Tea with Mussolini) – Country Girl in the Village
- Croque Monsieur (inspired by It’s Complicated) – That Skinny Chick Can Bake!!!
- “Eat Me” Blueberry Lemon Scones (inspired by Alice in Wonderland) – The Messy Baker
- Dog Bone Breadsticks (inspired by Frankenweenie) – The Urban Mrs.
- Individual Deep Dish Pizzas (inspired by Mystic Pizza) – Momma’s Meals
- Basic Bread Recipe (inspired by Agora) – Masala Herb
- Mystical Double Cheese Pizza (inspired by Mystic Pizza) – Webicurean
- Vanilla Cinnamon Pancakes (inspired by No Reservations) – Pies and Plots
No Reservations (soups and salads)
- 10-Minute Potato Ham Soup with Pesto Swirl (inspired by Julie & Julia) – Shockingly Delicious
- Alaska Smoked Salmon, Celery, and Apple Salad (inspired by Salmon Fishing in the Yemen) – Pescetarian Journal
Today’s Special (fish, chicken, beef, and pork)
- الدار البيضاء Fish Tajine (inspired by Casablanca) – Maroc Mama
- Beef and Onions Braised in Beer (inspired by Julie & Julia) – Magnolia Days
- Spicy Seared Tuna with Balsamic Reduction (inspired by Big Fish) – I Run For Wine
- Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs (inspired by Brave) – Big Bear’s Wife
- Puerco Pibil (inspired by Once Upon a Time in Mexico) – From the Bookshelf
Forks Over Knives (veggie-heavy dishes and sides)
- Eggplant in Garlic Sauce (inspired by The Joy Luck Club) – Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Beet Chips (inspired by Food Matters) – girlichef
- Ratatouille (inspired by Ratatouille) – Noshing With The Nolands
- Mushroom and Asparagus Mini Quiches (inspired by Sixteen Candles) – Home Cooking Memories
- Veg Samosas (inspired by Monsoon Wedding) – My Cute Bride
- Not So Fried Green Tomatoes (inspired by Fried Green Tomatoes) – Mama.Mommy.Mom
- Roasted Taters with Bacon (inspired by Lord of the Rings) – Curious Cuisiniere
- Goat Cheese Basil Grits (inspired by Fried Green Tomatoes) – Diabetic Foodie
Udon (pasta and noodles)
- Big Night Timpano (inspired by Big Night) – Kimchi Mom
- Better Baked Mac & Cheese (inspired by Soul Food) – What Smells So Good?
- Spaghetti with Meatballs and Gravy (inspired by Lady and the Tramp) – Juanita’s Cocina
- Spicy Sichuan Noodles (inspired by Eat Drink Man Woman) – Food Lust People Love
- Chicken Tchoupitoulas Pasta (inspired by Last Holiday) – Gourmet Drizzles
Just Desserts (sweet treats)
- The Best Chocolate Cake (inspired by Chocolat) – The Foodie Army Wife
- Chocolate Almond Torte with Raspberries (inspired by Chocolat) – Vintage Kitchen
- Iocane-Dusted Brownies of Unusual Size (BOUS’) (inspired by The Princess Bride) – The Cooking Actress
- Minny’s Chocolate Pie (inspired by The Help) – Daily Dish Recipes
- Pao de Lo | Portuguese Bundt Sponge Cake (inspired by My Big Fat Greek Wedding) – Family Foodie
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie (inspired by Life of Pi) – No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Fantasia Cakes (inspired by Disney’s Fantasia) – NinjaBaking. com
- Chocolate Dipped Almond Coconut Bars (inspired by Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) – Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- (Gluten Free) Orange Soda Pound Cake (inspired by Joe Vs The Volcano) – Blueberries and Blessings
- Peach and Berry Cobbler (inspired by Soul Food) – The Lovely Pantry
- Golden Ticket Peanut Butter-Pretzel Truffles (inspired by Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory) – Weekend Gourmet
- French Macarons (inspired by Marie Antoinette) – Happy Baking Days
- Pistachio and Cherry Cannoli Cups (inspired by The Godfather) – Peanut Butter and Peppers
Bottle Shock (beverages)
- Raspberry Cordial (inspired by Anne of Green Gables) – NeighborFood
- Grapefruit Flirtini (inspired by Sex and the City) – Ruffles & Truffles
- Wines To Pair With #SundaySupper Movie-Inspired Recipes (inspired by Sideways) – ENOFYLZ Wine Blog