Origin of pound cake
Pound cake originated in France and was made with only four ingredients: butter, sugar, flour, and eggs. A pound of each! Can you imagine that? Heavy would be a big understatement I imagine. This was before ingredients like baking powder were discovered.
It is the famous French cake quatre quarts (which means four quarts) due to the number of ingredients and the fact that it was a quarter (or pound) of each.
A wonderful pound cake, chock full of ground walnuts and maple flavor.
- 1 ¾ cups 215g coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- 2 ¼ cups 315g cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cups 280g unsalted butter, room tº
- 1 ¼ cups 250g sugar
- 5 large eggs
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- ¾ teaspoon maple flavoring (optional)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup 65g unsalted butter
- 2 Tbs pure maple syrup
- 1–2 Tbs cream
- 6 Tbs powdered sugar (sifted)
- Walnut halves for decoration (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF/180ºC. Butter and flour 12-cup Bundt pan.
- Finely ground walnuts in processor.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into medium bowl
- Using electric mixer, beat butter and sugar in large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in maple syrup, maple flavoring (if using) and vanilla extract (batter may look curdled).
- Mix in dry ingredients. Fold in ground walnuts.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake cake until top is golden and tester inserted near center comes out clean, about 1 hour.
- Transfer pan to rack; cool cake 10 minutes. Turn cake out onto rack and cool completely.
- Melt butter with maple syrup and cream in heavy small saucepan. Remove from heat.
- Add powdered sugar and whisk until smooth.
- Cool glaze until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Drizzle glaze over pound cake. Arrange walnut halves decoratively if using.
- Let cake stand 15 minutes until glaze sets.
You can sub almonds for the walnuts, but it really is not the same.
Keywords: pound cake, walnuts, maple
barely adapted from Bon Appétit