The traditional mac and cheese got updated with three types of cheese, some spice, and a golden top. You can have it ready in 45 minutes. Delicious and super easy!
Let's go straight to this easy recipe for baked mac and cheese. Or is it stovetop? It's both.
Comfort food that is fast and simple is the best. Mac and cheese are the best. And this recipe takes 45 minutes at the most to be served. So it can even be a last-minute addition to your holiday table.
I came back with a few food memories from my two-year stay in California when I was young enough to go to middle school, a fact I shared with you when I recreated smitten kitchen’s recipe for homemade wheat thins.
The box with the orange mac and cheese was something I looked forward to.
And then there was the non-cooking mother situation, a fact hard to overlook, which led to boxed and frozen everything whenever she could. And besides, I had nothing to compare to; the box of mac and cheese tasted amazing since it was my only shot at eating it. I was 13.
How to make mac and cheese
- Cook pasta al dente in salted water. Drain
- Grate or chop cheeses and mix with other ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add pasta and bake until golden and crunchy on top.
- Eat and enjoy!
Anyway, the easy in the title is for real, since sour cream is involved, and that makes it creamy without trying.
What cheeses can you use
Sharp cheese is absolutely necessary unless you want bland thrown into the equation.
Broiling this pasta bake
What is mandatory is the au gratin part, fancy words for broiling it in the upper part of the over.
Because, my friends, mac and cheese with no crunchy part on the top is just not worth it. Said by the person who fought over orange macaroni and cheese with no crunch whatsoever.
That was then, this is now. I turned 46 a week ago, at least I can say my palate evolved.
Related recipes you might like:
Let me know in the comments below if you made this recipe and loved it and if you had issues so we can troubleshoot together. I love to hear what you think, always. Thanks for being here. It's much appreciated.
You might also consider subscribing to our FREE email series to Boost your Home Baking Skills! And our regular newsletter.
And let's connect via Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup milk
- ½ cup shredded sharp parmesan or asiago cheese + ¼ cup for topping
- ½ cup cubed mozzarella cheese + ¼ cup for topping
- ½ cup crumbled mild blue cheese
- 1 cup elbow macaroni (cooked and drained)
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Dash of sriracha sauce or chili powder or whatever hot you like
- Large pinch of fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Have ready to medium individual oven ramekins.
- Mix sour cream, milk, ½ cup parmesan, ½ cup mozzarella, blue cheese and onion in a bowl.
- Add cooked macaroni, season with salt, pepper, thyme, sriracha and mix well.
- Top with the rest of parmesan and mozzarella cheeses, dividing evenly.
- Bake for 15 minutes, and lastly broil for 5 minutes, being careful not to burn it.
- Eat immediately.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: baked mac cheese
adapted from Fantastical Sharing of Recipes