Sweet eggplant rounds are cooked with honey and a mix of spices for a very unique, easy, and delicious side dish that comes together in 15 minutes. It can be eaten warm or at room temperature.
I deeply love eggplants and consider them one of my favorite foods.
I normally consume them in this easy eggplant hummus, which keeps well and can easily be a whole meal for me.
As a side dish, it's harder to prepare eggplant in ways that are flavorful yet simple.
Though I love them baked with olive oil, sea salt and pepper, I always look for new unique dishes.
So, this new recipe idea comes along, sweet and flavorful from the spices. It was irresistible, and I had to share it with you.
It's so easy to prepare, delicious, and a nice change to accompany roasted chicken and meat.
How to serve honey eggplant
- As a side dish: is a great accompaniment to grilled or roasted meats, rice or quinoa.
- Over salad: serve it over a bed of mixed greens for a light meal, and sprinkle with toasted nuts and seeds for added crunch.
- In a wrap or sandwich: with hummus and sliced veggies for a delicious, portable lunch. Add soft goat cheese or brie slices.
- As part of a platter with other grilled or roasted veggies like zucchini, red pepper, and onion, with soft cheeses, yogurt dip, nuts, crackers, and bread.
How to choose eggplants
This goes for all types of eggplant. I love the most classic ones, dark purple eggplants.
There are several factors to help you choose the best ones that are fresh, ripe, and flavorful.
- Look for smooth, shiny skin: this indicates that they are fresh and haven't been sitting around for too long. Avoid eggplants with dull or wrinkled skin; it can be a sign that they are overripe or have been stored improperly.
- Check the weight: eggplants that feel heavy for their size, indicate that they are dense and have a good amount of flesh inside.
- Press the skin: use your thumb to press gently against the skin of the eggplant. If the flesh bounces back, it is fresh and ripe. The eggplant may be overripe or spoiled if the flesh feels mushy or leaves an indentation.
- Check the stem: green, flexible stems indicate that they are fresh. Avoid eggplants with brown or dried-out stems, as this can be a sign that they are old.
- Size: choose medium to large ones, as smaller eggplants tend to have more seeds and less flesh.
Keep them refrigerated and eat them within 2-3 days of purchasing.
How to cook honey eggplants
This is a super simple and fast way to cook eggplant as a side dish.
A mixture of honey, spices, olive oil, and garlic is the marinade and will be brushed on the eggplant a few times during cooking. Keep the skillet over medium heat so the vegetables have time to cook. You want them in one piece but soft inside.
The honey mixture will thicken around the eggplant. Make sure you don't burn the rounds as honey can caramelize quickly.
Related recipes you might like:
Let me know in the comments below if you made this recipe and loved it and if you had issues so we can troubleshoot together. I love to hear what you think, always. Thanks for being here. It's much appreciated.
You might also consider subscribing to our FREE email series to Boost your Home Baking Skills! And our regular newsletter.
And let's connect via Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure policy.Print
- 1 ½ pounds eggplant
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- ¼ cup honey (I use clover honey)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley (chopped)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 cup natural yogurt (seasoned with salt and pepper, optional)
- Slice eggplants in medium-thick rounds.
- Crush or grind coriander and cumin seeds. I do it with a mortar and pestle.
- Mix oil, garlic, honey, coriander and cumin, paprika and cayenne pepper in a small saucepan.
- Cook for 2 minutes over medium heat. Reserve.
- Put eggplant slices in a tray; brush both sides with honey spice mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat grill or skillet and cook eggplant rounds until golden, about 2 minutes per side. When you turn them, brush them with any remaining honey mixture and continue cooking.
- Transfer to a serving platter and add the vinegar evenly over rounds.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve at room temperature with natural yogurt on the side. See Notes below for more serving ideas.
- Serving ideas:
As a side dish: is a great accompaniment to grilled or roasted meats, rice or quinoa.
Over salad: serve it over a bed of mixed greens for a light meal, and sprinkle with toasted nuts and seeds for added crunch.
In a wrap or sandwich: with hummus and sliced veggies for a delicious, portable lunch. Add soft goat cheese or brie slices.
As part of a platter with other grilled or roasted veggies like zucchini, red pepper, and onion, with soft cheeses, yogurt dip, nuts, crackers, and bread.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Side Dishes
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: International
- Serving Size: ¼
- Calories: 331
- Sugar: 22.1 g
- Sodium: 614.3 mg
- Fat: 22.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 27.6 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 8.6 g
- Cholesterol: 9.3 mg
Keywords: honey eggplant