A change from the usual cheese loaded appetizer, this roasted carrot dip is the answer to spring, getting ready for hot weather and eating healthier.
And did I mention you can have yours as spicy as you want to?
I’m sure you’ll love this recipe because it can be adjusted to your own taste. Start by adding the amount of honey, garlic, and spiciness in the recipe (or even less) and then increase or decrease whatever you want. I like to add more than one garlic clove when they are roasted though use only half a clove if I use them raw.
Another addition that works well is a few tablespoons of cooked chickpeas. But the flavor will not be so carroty.
Black olives vs. green olives
The difference between green and black olives is the time or moment when they are harvested. Green olives are under ripen (as the name suggests), while black olives are gathered when they are ripe.
There are other differences like the type of curing process they are subjected to, that is how they are processed and canned for distribution.
And depending on what country or part of the world you are, there can be a larger amount of different types of both green and black olives.
For this recipe, I love black olives. But maybe green ones work for you just as well. I suggest you try whichever type you have in your fridge first.
Types of feta cheese.
Feta cheese is grainy, easy to crumble, comes in the form of a block and is usually salty.
It can be made with goat, sheep or cow milk and it varies depending on the country of origin. I love goat cheese in general and feta in particular, do that is the one I use for this recipe. Besides, it’s easily available where I live.
Feel free to use a similar cheese. I like it to be pungent, but we all have our different tastes predilections. You can also omit it altogether.
Other recipes you might like:
An easy to make, healthier appetizer.
- 1/4 pound (1/2 kg) carrots
- Olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, with skin
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon spicy sauce (I use homemade harissa, but Sriracha, Tabasco, chipotle in adobo are also good)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons whipping or double cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup Black olives, to serve
- 2–3 tablespoons Feta cheese, to serve (I use goat)
- Crackers, to serve
- Preheat oven at 350°F 180°C.
- Wash, dry and slice carrots.
- Put in an oven pan together with garlic clove, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste and roast for about 40-45 minutes, until very soft.
- Process carrots, garlic clove (squeeze the soft meat out of the skin), salt and pepper to taste, honey, harissa, cumin, vinegar and a few tablespoons of olive oil until almost smooth.
- Add cream and process until as smooth as you want.
- Check seasonings and adjust to your taste.
- Put in a bowl, top with crumbled feta cheese, parsley, black olives and serve with crackers.
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: International