It started with the well-known banana bunch turning black and me searching for a recipe to use them.
Since I write another, very neglected some might add, Spanish blog I made some banana muffins that would make a nice post; translated books of American sweets do not abound here. Here’s where I was left with some extra batter. This usually ends up in any little mold I find, helping me try new shapes and sizes while cutting my losses in case it doesn’t work out.
The amount of dulce de leche and cream is really up to you. I use a lot of the milk jam, a lot!
You can make individual tarts too.
- 1/2 recipe banana muffins (see below)
- 1 1/2 cups dulce de leche
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon cream cheese
- 1 Tbs confectioners’ sugar
- ¼ cup chopped bittersweet chocolate
- ¼ cup chopped toasted walnuts (optional)
For the muffin base:
- 2 medium ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup oil (sunflower, canola or coconut)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking poder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the muffin base:
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Butter or spray an 8-inch round pan.
- Place oil, eggs and sugar in bowl and beat with electric mixer for about 2 minutes, until light and almost doubled in volume. Add vanilla.
- Sift dry ingredients. Add to the wet mixture and mix with a spatula just until incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Place in the prepared pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until springy and a tester comes out clean. Cool on rack.
- Place banana muffin round on a flat work surface.
- With a spoon, or piping bag if you want nicer tart edge, spread the dulce de leche to cover the tart bottom.
- Whip cream with sugar and cream cheese to fairly firm peaks, and spoon it over dulce de leche.
- Sprinkle freely with grated chocolate, and rounds of fresh banana slices and a few walnuts if you want. The fresh banana should be added right before serving, as it turns dark pretty fast.
- Repeat with remaining tart bottoms, ddl, cream, chocolate and walnuts.
- Category: Dessert