I just had buttered toast for lunch. The little fresh salad on top of the cheddar risotto cakes compliments the starchy, buttery crunchiness of the rice patties.
This is a no-recipe recipe, depending largely on how much risotto you have left. The amounts given are estimate. Feel free to add a fresh chopped herb, a different cheese or even a grated vegetable like carrot.
- 1 cup leftover risotto
- 4 Tbs grated sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup flour (seasoned with salt and pepper)
- 2 Tbs butter
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes
- Sprouts to garnish
- Lime wedges
- Olive oil
- Put leftover risotto in a bowl, add grated cheese and mix well. Make four patties with the cold risotto.
- On a shallow plate put seasoned flour and lightly coat the cakes, lightly shaking off excess.
- Melt butter in a skillet over low heat. Add risotto cakes and cook slowly, until very crisp, about 4 minutes on each side. If browning too quickly lower the heat. You want the heat to reach the center of the cakes and melt the cheese.
- Meanwhile, cut tomatoes in half, season with salt and pepper, a drizzle of olive oil and lime juice.
- When the cakes are done, put them in a platter or wooden board, top with tomatoes and sprouts. Drizzle some of the juice from the tomatoes.
- Serve immediately.