Today’s theme around our Sunday Supper table is comfort food.
- 3 cups whole milk
- Scant ½ cup sugar
- 2/3 cup long grain rice
- 1 strip lemon peel
- 1 strip orange or tangerine peel
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- ¼ cup cream
- Ground cinnamon (to sprinkle)
- In a medium saucepan, bring half of milk and sugar to a boil.
- Turn down heat and simmer 10 to 15 minutes, stirring often.
- In another medium saucepan, put the rest of the milk, cinnamon stick and citrus peels and bring to a boil.
- Add the rice, lower the heat and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the sugared milk to the saucepan that has the rice and cook, stirring often, until the rice is done to your taste. For me it takes 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat and add the cream.
- Transfer to a bowl, take out the citrus peels and cinnamon stick, let cool, cover and refrigerate until very cold.
- To serve, laddle pudding into bowls and sprinkle with cinnamon. You can add an extra Tbs of cream or milk before serving.