I tried different types of booze – from homemade hazelnut and amaretto to other creamy ones -, different chocolate/milk ratios, different options for the milk like evaporated milk/cream/almond milk. I even made a vegan option with cashew cream, but I don’t know how vegan baileys really is.
My last iteration is the recipe I share today, because it was the creamiest one. On a whim I added a few fat tablespoons of thick dulce de leche (homemade version here in this halloween post), the kind we use for pastry decoration because it holds itself really well. It really adds a few interesting layers to this ice cream, like an extra caramel tone and a better texture in the mouth.
Another option would be to add a few tablespoons of peanut butter. Now, wouldn’t that be an amazing combination? I think so. Or cashew cream if you want a vegan option.
The banana gives it creaminess with no added fat, and the flavor is very faint.
I still think this chocolate velvet ice cream is one of the best ever. But this one today is no churn, has baileys, and comes together in no time. Really, a few ingredients into the blender and then into the freezer. Ice cream has never been easier.
Talk about an after work drink, if you let it melt…
Note: the extra tablespoon of rum or other liquor gives it a very strong alcohol flavor, so you might opt to not use it.
- 2.3 oz 65g semisweet chocolate, a good one
- 5 tablespoons 75ml cream or evaporated milk
- 5 tablespoons 75ml Baileys liquor
- 1 medium banana (peeled and cut into chunks)
- 2 to 3 fat tablespoons thick dulce de leche
- 1 tablespoon 15ml rum or amaretto or coffee liquor, optional (see note above)
- Melt chocolate with the cream or evaporated milk. I microwave it for 30 seconds, stir it well and another 15 to 20 seconds.
- Put the liquors, banana and chocolate mixture and dulce de leche in the blender. Blend for about 2 minutes, until very smooth.
- Transfer to a plastic container with lid and freeze for 6 hours, until solid. It doens’t become rock solid.
- Keep in the freezer.
adapted from David Lebovitz