I had this wonderful pulla that was going a bit stale. I knew this was a great bread, but it exceeded my expectations. It is easy to make, absolutely delicious with a wonderful crumb and can be used for so many things, from cinnamon or orange rolls, to little sandwich breads, to french toast or bread pudding.
- 4 slices sweet egg bread (such as pulla or challah)
- 4 slices smoked ham
- 2 thick slices mozzarella
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbs whole milk
- 1 Tbs butter
- Maple syrup (to serve)
- Put bread on a cutting board.
- Top one slice with 2 slices of ham and 1 slice of cheese.
- Top with another slice and press down a bit. Repeat with the rest of the bread, ham and cheese.
- In a shallow bowl, lightly beat egg with milk. Season with some salt.
- Add sandwiches to the egg mixture, 1 minute on each side, so they soak up the egg and milk.
- Preheat skillet and add 1 Tbs butter.
- Add both sandwiches and cook over low heat until golden and cheese is beginning to melt.
- Serve with maple syrup.