For ice cream fans, this is the easiest way of making it at home. No need for an ice cream maker or egg yolk custard. The ingredients are simply mixed and frozen. The results are irresistibly smooth, rich and delicious. And they're incredibly versatile when it comes to flavors. In this post, you'll find all my tips and recipes.
We're huge fans of simple ice cream recipes that require no special equipment, just bowls, an electric mixer and a container.
No-churn ice creams are exactly that! Find the recipes at the end of this post or in the ice cream recipe archive.
Why make no-churn ice cream
- Simplicity: it requires fewer steps than traditional churned ice cream. You don't need an ice cream maker or any specialized equipment. This makes the process more approachable for beginners and those who may not have access to specialized kitchen tools.
- Quick and easy: you don't need to prepare an egg custard and refrigerate it for hours, pre-freeze a bowl or deal with the time-consuming churning process. It's especially handy when you crave ice cream and want it ready in a shorter amount of time.
- Variety: no-churn ice cream recipes are incredibly versatile. You can experiment with a wide range of flavors, mix-ins, and toppings. The possibilities are endless, whether you're into classic vanilla, chocolate, or more unique flavors like lavender honey or toasted coconut.
- Texture: this type of ice cream tends to have a slightly softer and creamier melt-in-your-mouth texture.
- Freshness: you have more control over ingredients and can choose high-quality dairy or non-dairy bases, adjust the amount of sugar and flavorings according to your taste preferences and dietary restrictions and be sure it has no preservatives.
What is the difference between churned and no churn ice cream?
The most significant difference is that churned ice cream requires an ice cream machine (or maker) to churn the base before freezing it. And, unless using professional equipment, the mixture must be extremely cold and that takes hours. No-churn ice cream, as the name implies, avoids this step, making it a breeze to mix.
Does no-churn ice cream melt faster?
Yes, it does. It goes from solid to half-melted faster than its regular counterpart. So take it out of the freezer when ready to eat it.
Why is condensed milk used in no-churn ice cream?
Condensed milk adds sweetness, a creamy texture, contributes with the structure and shelf life of the ice cream. It's a wonderful shortcut.
Can you freeze ice cream without churning?
Yes, you can, and all recipes in this post can be frozen directly after mixing the ice cream base with the flavorings and add-ins.
What is the science behind no-churn ice cream?
The main components of no-churn ice cream are typically heavy cream and condensed milk and together they create an unbelievably creamy, crystal-free ice cream.
- Forming an emulsion: heavy cream contains fat globules, while condensed milk contains water, sugar, and milk solids. When they are combined and whipped, an emulsion is formed. An emulsion is a mixture of two immiscible (unmixable) liquids, in this case, fat and water, stabilized by molecules called emulsifiers, helping to prevent the fat and water from separating. This emulsion contributes to the smooth and creamy texture of the ice cream.
- Incorporating air into the mixture: whipping the heavy cream incorporates air bubbles that help give the ice cream a light and airy texture. As the ice cream freezes, these air bubbles become trapped in the mixture, contributing to the overall volume and texture.
- Sugar: the condensed milk used in no-churn ice cream recipes contains a high sugar concentration. Sugar lowers the freezing point of water, so the mixture will take longer to freeze and form ice crystals. This is important for preventing large ice crystals from forming and creating a smoother texture in the ice cream.
Treat no-churn ice cream as you would the regular one. Top it with whatever you want. Here are some ideas.
Make popsicles or paletas
This type of ice cream is excellent for making popsicles. Simply fill the molds according to the manufacturer's instructions and freeze.
As said before, no-churn ice creams are hard initially but start to melt faster, so consider that when eating individual popsicles. Smaller molds might be a solution if kids will be eating them.
Condensed Milk Ice Cream
This no-churn vanilla ice cream is smooth, creamy, and irresistible. With only 3 ingredients, it is easy to make and a guaranteed crowd-pleaser.
No Churn Strawberry Ice Cream (best recipe)
This is the easiest homemade ice cream with an outstanding fresh strawberry flavor! A no-churn, 4-ingredient recipe made mostly in the blender (no need for an ice cream maker) that also works with frozen berries.
Homemade Chocolate Ice Cream (easy no-churn recipe)
This homemade chocolate ice cream recipe is very easy to make with a deep chocolate flavor. With just 4 ingredients and no added sugar, it's a no-churn recipe (no need for an ice cream machine) with a smooth, velvety texture and irresistible taste. Enjoyed as is or with a topping, this frozen dessert is a guaranteed crowd-pleaser.
Creamy Cheesecake Ice Cream (best no churn recipe)
If you're looking for a homemade vanilla ice cream that tastes like cheesecake, this frozen treat combines the best of both worlds with its creamy texture and irresistible taste. Serve it plain with graham cracker crumbs or add a topping and enjoy your favorite cheesecake flavor as a frozen dessert.
Homemade Lemon Ice Cream (no-churn recipe)
This homemade lemon ice cream recipe is very easy to make and big in flavor. With a ripple of lemon curd, it has a smooth, velvety texture and irresistible taste. Enjoyed as is or with a topping, this frozen dessert is a guaranteed crowd-pleaser.
Oreo Ice Cream (no-churn recipe)
If you're craving homemade Oreo ice cream, this recipe is easy to make and big in flavor, a game-changer. A no-churn vanilla ice cream base with crushed cookies that is a guaranteed crowd-pleaser. The texture is smooth and creamy with an irresistible cookies and cream flavor.
Berry Cheesecake Ice Cream (no-churn)
Extremely easy to make and gorgeous, this is the best summer frozen dessert ever! It's egg-free, no-churn and there's no need to make custard in the stove. You can use any berry you want and it's a great recipe to make with and for kids. Simply mix, fill the popsicle molds and freeze!
The specified time doesn't include freezing.
Funfetti Ice Cream (easy no-churn recipe)
Only 4 ingredients are needed to make this incredibly smooth and creamy ice cream with colorful sprinkles that takes 10 minutes to mix. Use it to top brownies, pies or eat in a cone or bowl, plain, with vanilla cake crumbs or a chocolate sauce. You'll have everyone coming back for seconds.
Let me know in the comments below if you made this recipe and loved it and if you had issues so we can troubleshoot together. I love to hear what you think, always. Thanks for being here. It's much appreciated.
You might also consider subscribing to our FREE email series to Boost your Home Baking Skills! And our regular newsletter.
And let's connect via Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure policy.