From appetizers to layer cakes, if you're still wondering what to make to celebrate this holiday, I got you covered with amazing recipes for a brunch. Check them out!
This post is updated every year with the most relevant content.
I find that this is the perfect event for a great display of easy recipes, full of spring colors and bursting flavors.
Setting the table: I like to take the time to think what color palette I want that go with the food. Mother's day can take any color you want but I always think about light and sunshine (hopefully) since Spring is in full swing. So make sure your plates, linens, and flowers match the spirit you want for the brunch.
The great thing about baking is that most recipes are good to eat year round. We are not as eager to bake in the scorching summer, but spring and fall are perfect occasions. And a holiday is the perfect excuse.
These are, hands-down, my favorites for a Mother's Day brunch table. You can make several of them ahead and keep refrigerated or frozen. There's a guide to Freezer Baking & Desserts that might come in very handy.
No brunch table can start unless there are great savory recipes, right? I have to confess that savory baking is one of my favorite things. And eating the results is a big part of why I love it, lol.
- Avocado hummus: light, creamy, and delicious, this is fantastic to eat with pita chips. Make it with or without garlic, it stays fresh for several days.
- Tomato Galette: an easy free-form tart, it has simple flavors but is very tasty.
- Basmati Rice with Salsa Verde: gorgeous green colored rice with seeds and almonds. The salsa verde is fabulous and can be made several days ahead.
- Crustless Quiche: the perfect option if you don't want to make a pie crust! And, the filling can be customized to what you have. All the info in the post.
- Mushroom Leek Quiche: this is a superb dish for a brunch table because it can be made ahead and people seem to love mushrooms.
- Baked Ricotta: if you never tried this recipe I encourage you to, asap! It comes together in no time and can be topped with whatever you have around.
SCONES & BREAD
- Irish Soda Bread: this is the king of no-yeast breads and is ready in an hour!
- Easy Buttermilk scones: a great recipe that can be eaten with both sweet and savory fillings.
- Strawberry Scones: these are beautiful and rustic. I personally love them for Mother's Day.
- Blueberry Scones: a crowd-pleaser that can be made ahead and frozen.
- Parmesan Chive scones: this mini biscuits are so tasty they will bring raves from everyone! They can be made ahead and frozen.
- Walnut Quick Bread: a fantastic sweet loaf with a scrumptious coffee glaze.
BARS & COOKIES
There are some traditional recipes below that I love to include in a holiday table. All brunches should have some type of bread and cookies, of course!
- Lemon Shortbread: one of the most popular recipes in this blog, this is a very simple lemon-flavored cookie.
- Fudgy, One bowl Brownies: my favorite recipe! It's easy to make and who will say no to amazing homemade brownies, right?
- Sesame Cookies: sweet and buttery, this is a unique recipe, and I bet they will surprise you too.
- Mexican wedding cookies: a bite and you'll be hooked forever! They have a fantastic smooth, crumbly texture and are almond flavored.
- White Chocolate Walnut Blondies: a recipe that is very easy to make and a crowd pleaser. You can customize it with another type of chocolate or nuts.
- Lemon Crinkles: a crowd-pleaser, these are fantastic and easy to make.
CAKES & CUPCAKES
I narrowed down my favorite cake recipes for this time of year which was not easy. I hope you find them amazing like I surely do.
- Strawberry Pound Cake: a simple vanilla cake that is moist, sweet with baked strawberries inside, keeps well for several day and can be frozen! The berries get soft and jammy and add a wonderful flavor.
- Hummingbird Cake: beautiful layers flavored with banana, pineapple, cinnamon, and walnuts are combined with sweet cream cheese frosting. A fantastic classic cake that keeps well and can be frozen.
- Lemon Almond Bundt: I'm crazy about this cake. The combination of flavors is divine and the cake is moist and unique.
- Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes: the most amazing cupcakes that taste just like a shortcake! Sweet whipped cream and a strawberry filling, these are simply outstanding.
- White Chocolate Raspberry Cake: the most popular cake in the blog, this is a showstopper that can be made with fresh or frozen berries.
- Blood Orange Mini Bundts: such beautiful cakes and so easy to make, you can also use regular oranges, but that pink glaze is everything!
- Double Chocolate Layer Cake: made-from-scratch cake meets the easiest ever 5-minute chocolate frosting in this decadent dessert.
- Ricotta Cheesecake: this is one of the most popular recipes in this blog, and with good reason, it's so easy to make and such a crowd-pleaser!
- Lemon Blueberry Layer Cake: this cake is a stunner. Lemon layers are filled and frosted with a blueberry cream cheese frosting with a hint of citrus zest.
PIES AND TARTS
Some traditional pies and some wonderful desserts that will be approved by your pickiest eaters.
- Easiest Cherry Custard Tart: I can't emphasize enough how easy and sophisticated at the same time this tart is. The dough requires no refrigeration!
- Chocolate Raspberry Tart: smooth truffle filling with juicy raspberries in a tart that is very easy to make yet looks sophisticated.
- Peach Crumble Pie: old-fashioned and gorgeous, it's juicy, buttery and delicious!
- Lemon Ricotta Pie: I consider this the best one I ever made and it never fails to make an appearance at this time of year.
- Strawberry Cream Pie: easy to make and so delicious! This is my grandmother's recipe with a twist.
- Apricot Raspberry Tart: fruit and almonds take center stage in this unique pie with amazing flavors.
Though many think these type of recipes are suited for more wintery holidays, I love them because they're SO incredibly easy to make and such a crowd-pleaser! A little homemade chocolate treat will add so much to your table.
- Chocolate Peanut Clusters: the queen of homemade chocolate bars, utterly irresistible.
- Cookie Chocolate Bark: two types of chocolate marbled with cookies and nuts.
- Easiest Fudge ever: can't beat this microwave recipe that can have just about any add-ins you want.
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Oat Bars: wonderful flavors together in a bar that is a good project to make with kids.
With the start of berries and stone fruit, this brunch table can have the easiest and best desserts, including icebox and dump cakes which I include here because they are best eaten in a bowl with a spoon.
- Lemon Icebox Dessert: very popular with blog readers, it comes together very quickly and is loved by everyone.
- Blueberry Cobbler: old-fashioned dessert that is particularly tasty with a scoop of ice cream.
- Cherry Chocolate Dump cake: meant to be eaten in a bowl with a spoon, it's easy (made with boxed cake mix) and the flavors are fantastic!
- Strawberry Icebox Cake: my favorite by far, it has fresh fruit, cream and dulce de leche which pair so, so well. A must-try.
- Strawberry Crisp: with brown sugar and and a fruit layer that makes its own syrup, this dessert couldn't be more delicious!
- Old fashioned Peach Cobbler: can't go wrong with this dessert that is both juicy and floury at the same time.
Vanilla Custard Sauce
Also known as Crème Anglaise, this is a French light custard sauce. I had to add it here because and it's so perfect for Spring, and so delicious! Use it on top of pound cakes, pies, with fruit, with pancakes or waffles. It can be made ahead and flavored with different extracts (coffee, lemon, orange) besides vanilla.
Crème Anglaise or French Custard Sauce: click to find the recipe with a step-by-step video!
Our holiday is in October (I live in Buenos Aires) because that's when our spring happens. Right now it's all fall leaves and cool days.
Let me know in the comments below if you make this recipe! I’d love to hear what you think about it. Thank you for being here, I appreciate it! Let’s connect via Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
If you like the recipes in this blog, consider subscribing and getting all new posts by email. As a thank you, we'll send you a FREE recipe ebook and our Guide to Freezer Baking!